June 3, 2015 1:18 am
1. Repel sweaty hands and scratches. Use furniture polish with a citrus base when cleaning appliances. These products create a low-friction surface that reduce scratches and leave an oily layer which keeps sweaty palms and fingerprints at bay.
2. Organize the entryway. Make outdoor fun more accessible with a tidy entryway, mud room or coat closet. Create bins to organize all accessories for outdoor activities: balls and gloves in one bin, swimming toys and goggles in another, and so on.
3. Recruit a cleaning crew. Give the kids something to do in summer with a few daily chores. This will lighten your load and teach lessons of accountability and responsibility. Even little mess-makers can help with age-appropriate jobs, such as picking up toys or sorting laundry by color. Create a chore chart to help keep everyone on task and ensure chores are completed in a timely fashion.
4. Create a clutter-free zone. Give yourself a little breathing room and assign a special area where no personal belongings can be placed. The kitchen is a great spot to keep clutter-free so meal prep is easier and there's a comfortable place for the family to gather.
5. Dust daily. Set aside just 10 to 15 minutes a day to properly dust one room in the home. A microfiber cloth attached to the end of a long pole with a rubber band is an easy way to reach tough spots such as light fixtures, ceilings and corners, as well as baseboards and behind heavy furniture.
Published with permission from RISMedia.